Confessions of a Gigging Musician(From the Novel, "The Waiter"-work in progress)

 ... I can see it in their searching eyes. They remain focused on playing, but the eyes always have a distant, slightly desperate and tired look. The best of them all have the tough skin and professional polish—they've been through it over and over, years and years. I get into many conversations with my fellow gigging musicians. I always want to know what they know. Over the years I've gotten less competitive and more concerned for their well being, unless of course they're jaded, no-talent assholes. I will dole out acquired wisdom where I feel it might be welcomed, or i'll just listen and try and relate to life on the so-cal gigging circuit.
  These days I mostly catch them passing through the restaurant; we have music all weekend. The only shows I have time to catch are my own, but I consider it a definite fringe benefit that I get to watch and chat with several of the acts we host. They're mostly doing straight covers, some are originals, and some are singer-songwriters who (sadly) mostly don't feel comfortable even slipping one of their own into a set.
  My point is: I want them to know they are needed. They are as essential to society and culture as hydration to human existence. I also want them to stay strong and believe in their path even more. Instead of the almost standard conversation pieces, like..."San Diego's music scene is so flaky, too spread out...or my favorite, it's not like my home city"... I try to engage them beyond the surface.
  Back in the glorious 90's, college days, I was a liberal communications major(emphasize the 'liberal') at the University of Minnesota. I was fortunately unfortunate to be in the right place at the right time at a major university, where my professors kept us up with the radical changes the Clinton administration(with both congressional democrats and republicans) was making to the telcomm industry. I watched over the years the effects it had as the big media fish swallowed all the little media fish and consolidated their power, squeezing out the less wealthy. The radio stations were consumed by Clear Channel(or it's satanic alias 'I Heart Radio'-insert puke-) and converted to bullshit corporate, boring playlist, stations, that cold shouldered most local music scenes in favor of the safety of big labels and their pop shlock.
  I occasionally insert what I know into these conversations, because so few know the history. Like I said, I was lucky to be there and listening back in college, even though I dropped out, because it was all covered up by the media conglomerates who reaped the profits. Why would they broadcast on their own stations the monopolies they were manipulating the government into sanctioning? It's important, not for the purpose of having someone to blame, but to have a relative context, of how it has gone down...or like the philosopher warrior Sun-Tzu so eloquently put it, "KNOW YOUR ENEMY" (also the title of my favorite Rage Against the Machine song, man the 90's rocked!). It always helps to vent/complain at least a little to each other as we exchange copies of CD's that we can no longer sell to a generation that has moved on to the latest new thing, and a generation that hardly even buys 'any' music anymore, because it, "ain't like it used to be". Of course I relate and embrace both, but inevitably I'm packing up my gear along with unsold product, tired from giving it what I have to give in performance. I know I have the tough skin, I know my eyes have mostly gone from scanning the faces of the audience to searching inward and examining the self...(to be continued) Thanks for reading, to check out more of my scribblings and strummings go to any of the following links! Peace!   
www.countryrockinrebels.com
https://www.amazon.com/Planet-California-Tristan-Luhrs/dp/1544602510/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506625138&sr=8-1&keywords=planet+california+tristan+luhrs



Comments